Amateur Best releases his new album The Gleaners on Friday 2nd October via Brille Records (The Knife, Gwilym Gold, John Wizards).
The alias of Birmingham-based “personal pop” musician, songwriter, and producer Joe Flory, Amateur Best straddles the fine line between outright ecstasy and muted melancholy.
A testament both to Flory’s commitment to making music on his own terms, and to the sheer joys of making music full stop, stream The Gleaners in full alongside a track-by-track via DIY here.
The Gleaners was featured by Radio 1’s Huw Stephens on his It’s Album Time segment last night – listen back here (from 45 minutes).
Like all the most personal albums, The Gleaners is a record that reveals itself to the deeper listener. Urgent and immediate moments like ‘Marzipan’ contrast with the luscious, slower grooves of ‘No Sleep’, while pristine electronic pop belters like ‘They Know’ sit alongside rawer songs like album opener ‘Rely’ (which was recorded completely live, with keyboards from Spencer Zahn and strings from the Kaiser Quartett). Additionally, Chilly Gonzales – who guested on debut album No Thrills – returns for more on The Gleaners and laid down the piano on ‘19’.
Flory is also pleased to share a new remix by Richard Norris of current single ‘They Know’ – also due Oct 2nd following support from Radio 1’s Annie Mac and Huw Stephens and Xfm’s John Kennedy and Eddy Temple Morris. Listen to the remix here.
To celebrate the album release, Amateur Best will play a special show at London’s Waiting Room next month.
The Waiting Room, London
175 Stoke Newington High Street, London, N16 0LH
8pm / £7.50 Tickets
Pre-order the album here.
- Brian Setzer to release 'Rockabilly Riot: All Original' Aug.12 on Surfdog Records
- Every Time I Die to release new album 'From Parts Unknown' Jul.1 on Epitaph Records
- Sarah Jaffe announces new album 'Don't Disconnect' out Aug.19 on Kirtland Records
- Loose Planes announce debut on 6131 Records; tour dates with Tigers Jaw and Pity Sex
- Code Of Orange to release 'I Am King' Sept.2 on Deathwish Inc.
- Misterwives announce 'Reflections Remix' EP and Northside Festival performance