The ten-episode series follows transgender pioneer and lead singer of the punk band Against Me!, Laura Jane Grace, who came out as transgender at the height of her music career in 2012. This unscripted docu-series explores poignant moments from Laura’s life and the overall transition experience. Each short-form episode dives deeper into the lives and emotions of this ever-expanding community, revealing the vulnerability and strength behind finding who they really are.
Photo: Leslie Lyons
“AOL Originals’ True Trans with Laura Jane Grace is an important series that amplifies the voices of trans people from all over the country, helping to raise awareness about the legal and cultural disparities that transgender people confront daily,” said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis. “GLAAD is thrilled to support this project and grateful that AOL Originals has donated ad space for GLAAD’s public service announcement, which sends the message that bullying is just not acceptable.”
In the fifth episode of the series, Laura Jane Grace reflects on the ways in which she came out to her family, her bandmates and to the world in a high-profile Rolling Stone feature story. Episodes six and seven explore the medical procedures as well as the emotional, psychological and societal changes that a person can experience during the transition process.
New episodes of True Trans with Laura Jane Grace are streaming NOW on AOL On Originals. The final episodes will be released on November 25 of this year.
Follow AolOriginals on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and tumblr for more updates. Join the conversations with:
- Transgender pioneer Laura Jane Grace to debut AOL Original series 'True Trans with Laura Jane Grace'
- Oh Land announces N. American tour, 'Half Hero' video and 'Head Up High' (The Remixes)
- Against Me! release NSFW music video 'Black Me Out'
- Against Me! extends North American Summer tour
- Against Me! announces 'Osama Bin Laden As The Crucified Christ' 7" for Record Store Day
- Manic Pixi release debut album 'Sugar Bomb!' September 16th