Fly Golden Eagle‘s music is a ride and it’s one that you should take as often as you can, with the volume turned up. Just say yes to the question posed in slinky seduction of “Horses Mouth:” “I’m never bending to the imitations/ Why don’t you come and take a trip with me?”
The band’s sophomore effort, Quartz, is a 26-song epic, a collection of songs that join together to form a narrative arc describing a story that is sometimes vulgar, sometimes profane, and sometimes beautiful. The album lines up with the groundbreaking 1973 film The Holy Mountain, an avant-garde masterpiece directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky, produced by The Beatles’ manager Allen Klein, and funded by John Lennon and George Harrison.
Founding band member and lead signer Ben Trimble found himself inspired by the film while writing the material that would become Quartz. It was not a given that the music and the movie would run in tandem, but as Trimble continued to write the through-lines of both works matched up, leading to an inspirational set piece of visuals, music, and story.
“I wanted this album to be a real reflection of the whole band effort, of the vibes of us playing together,” said Trimble. “I want people to listen to it and be able to feel the chemistry.”
These combined efforts are certainly evident in the overall power of the record that also translates to Quartz Bijou, a 12-song abbreviated version of its originally intended 26-track version, Quartz. Bijou ebbs and flows seamlessly; it’s a deeply satisfying stand-alone musical effort, with the bonus realization that there’s more to be heard and experienced. Head below to see when the band’s upcoming run of tour dates with Gogol Bordello will be coming to your town.
Listen to Fly Golden Eagle on World Cafe
3/2 – Asheville, NC – Orange Peel
3/3 – Charleston, SC – Music Farm
3/5 – Nashville, TN – Marathon Music Works
3/6 – Savannah, GA – Savannah StopOver
3/7 – Athens, GA – Georgia Theatre
3/8 – Chattanooga, TN – JJ’s Bohemia
- Fly Golden Eagle announce Summer tour dates including Forecastle festival and Basilica Block Party
- ATO Records releases Winter Sampler for download
- Jane's Addiction and Rise Against anchor return of The ShinDig Music Festival
- This Way to the EGRESS unleash their own unique style with new album 'Great Balancing Act'
- KARABAS BARABAS Release Official Video for "Being A Man" Off New LP, 'Return Of The Sexy Demon'
- The Nearly Deads announce Full Rage Of Nicolas Cage US tour with The Animal In Me and It Lives, It Breathes