Dirtnap Records has announced plans for a new LP from Bad Sports, called Bras. The album will be released on August 27th, but fans can get an early taste of the album by checking out the first single, “Let Me In” (see Pitchfork debut).
Denton/Austin’s Bad Sports are back with their third album – and second on Dirtnap. Produced by the Marked Men’s Mark Ryan and Jeff Burke, Bras is a major departure from the ’77 pop/punk feel of 2011’s terrific Kings of the Weekend. This time the band brings a tougher, harder-edged sound and takes on a wider variety of musical styles. While still very much in the classic vein of Texan garage/punk, Bad Sports are also bringing to mind the heyday of New York City punk. With hints of Dead Boys snarl, Dictators thump, and even some artier Lou Reed/Television leanings, this record finds the trio refining its songwriting chops and rocking harder than ever. The album’s got a little bit of everything – from booming Cheap Trick style power pop to straight-up catchy garage punk to grimy proto-punk not far removed from Bad Sports member, Orville’s, other band OBN IIIs. Lots of bands pay lip service to the idea of duplicating the energy of their live shows on record. Bad Sports have gone out and done it! Turn it up!
Also of note, Dirtnap is throwing two showcases this fall (September 20th in Portland at Slabtown, September 21st in Seattle at The Highline.) and Bad Sports will be playing both, along with scheduled performances by Marked Men, Mind Spiders, Mean Jeans, White Wires, Sonic Avenues, Low Culture, Guantanamo Baywatch and more.
- Bad Sports release 'Bras' on Dirtnap Records
- Texas punks Bad Sports announce new 12" on Dirtnap Records
- Mind Spiders Announce New LP on Dirtnap Records
- Mind Spiders 'Inhumanistic' out today on Dirt Nap Records
- Dirtnap Records Announces New Albums From Radioactivity (Featuring Jeff Burke and Mark Ryan from Marked Men)
- Dirtnap Records to release new Steve Adamyk Band album Jul.1; stream track