The indie label that grabbed headlines for buying the domain of UKIP’s website, Alcopop! Records has teamed up with some of the most forward-thinking record labels around the country, to create a special release for Record Store Day ‘15 – the Sensible Record Labels compilation.
In contrast to the many high-priced reissues and major label dominance of RSD, this limited vinyl will be priced at just £10 across all stores, and presented on exclusive Red/Black/Yellow Crush vinyl (which features individually-ground vinyl of 3 colours hand pressed into milky-clear records so each one is unique).
As well as the record itself, which boasts ten handpicked tracks (one track from each label), the package comes with a download card containing 150MB of content from each label – containing songs, videos, documents, photos and more.
This vinyl is not just a reasonably priced compilation, but a genuine gateway for interested listeners to discover what lies behind the UK’s indie labels.
Jack Clothier, owner of Alcopop! said: “We’re hoping that amid the reissues, expensive singles and re-pressed rarities, we can genuinely open people up to a new way of thinking, and encourage indie fans to delve into rosters of labels they may not already be aware of, becoming further involved the beating heart of our UK indie scene.”
Tim Dellow, co-founder of Transgressive Records said: “We’re thrilled to be involved in something that genuinely captures the true spirit of Record Store Day, and what this community of great independent artists and labels represent. A great value way for fans to get into new bands across all the labels, and support their local indie store. Good on Alcopop! The Alvvays track is “Underneath Us” making its vinyl debut having only been on a bonus tape given away at indie stores with their stunning debut!”
Package contains: One-off splatter vinyl, hundreds of MP3s, exclusive interviews and video content. All for £10. Limited to 500 copies across the country on RSD.
Labels participating: Alcopop!, Art is Hard, Bella Union, Big Scary Monsters, Dog Knights Productions, Fat Cat, Fierce Panda, Fortuna Pop, Howling Owl, Memphis Industries, and Transgressive.
For Fans Of: Discovering the best music that the cream of the indie label crop has to offer, for just £10.
* Tracks starred are never before heard exclusives
* Menace Beach – Hello Bully (Memphis Industries)
The Pains of Being Pure At Heart – Masokissed (Fierce Panda)
Alvvays – Underneath Us (Transgressive)
* Simmer – Bering Strait (Dog Knights Productions)
* C-Duncan – The Castle Walls (FatCat)
* Tellison – Boy (Alcopop!)
* Joanna Gruesome – There Is No Function Stacy (Fortuna Pop!)
* Bernard + Edith – Dagger (Bella Union)
* Best Friends – Wash Me Out (Art is Hard)
* Woahnows – Sounds Like Spitting (Big Scary Monsters)
* Silver Waves – Gargoyle (Howling Owl)
Extra Fun Bits:
- The artwork is drawn in the style of legendary 90’s Amiga game developer Sensible Software, with the blessing of their head honcho Jon Hare. The original full band version of the infamous track taken from the ‘Boot Hill’ scene from ‘Cannon Fodder’ is included on the download card.
- The record store ‘Freakbeat’ depicted on the artwork was Jack Alcopop!s first ‘regular’ music shop frequented in Coventry (now long departed).
- The Crookes to release new album 'Soapbox' Apr.14 on Fierce Panda
- Marissa Nadler Announces New Album on Sacred Bones/Bella Union
- 2:54 debut new video from new album 'The Other I' out Nov.11 on Bella Union
- Tangled Talk Records announce new website and Free Compilation
- KID Recordings & Nerdy Frames Release Free Compilation 'Transitions'
- Cut Copy presents: 'Oceans Apart' compilation, new track and live dates