Dutch songwriter Angela Moyra moved from her native Netherlands to San Francisco recently and the singer will perform a handful of stateside dates in support of her new album “Fickle Island,” newly released to North American retailers through Dutch label Zip Records.
Photo: Sophie van der Perre
Angela’s influences range from classical singers like Louis Armstrong and Minnie Ripperton to contemporary voices like Corinne Bailey Rae and Norah Jones to the tropical sounds of her Indonesian roots. Her voice is the central instrument in her songs. Fickle Island recalls a splendid mix of naivety and sophistication, much like her heritage, musically and otherwise.
Angela became a sensation in the Netherlands in 2011 when she reached the finals of the prestigious “Grand Prize of the Netherlands” songwriter competition. Encouraged to record the songs that delighted her growing audiences, she released her first single “Timid” in 2012 to the receptive and influential Dutch radio station 3FM as “a talent to expose.” An invitation to perform on prime time Dutch TV followed as well as national festival appearances, a national tour and showing up to support James Morrison and Beth Hart during their Dutch tours in the same year. She then went in to the studio to record her debut album “Fickle Island” in late 2013. It is produced by renowned Dutch producer Reyn Ouwehand (Vanessa Paradis, Ane Brun) and released in March 2014 in the Netherlands.
The twelve tracks on Fickle Island contain breezy melodies and poignant lyrics that express a unique worldview.
Listen to Fickle Island here: http://www.angelamoyra.com/music
Purchase Fickle Island here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fickle-island/id835672057
More information on Angela Moyra:
- Dutch folk trio Snowapple to release new album 'Illusion' in Mar. 2015 on Zip Records
- Self Destructo Records to unleash Peter Pan Speedrock in North America with the release of Buckle Up And Shove It!
- Netherlands native Maura Hope releases 'Consider Me' EP on Synth City Records
- Culture Collide announces performance schedules for Los Angeles and San Francisco
- Crossdressing superstars The Grannies to release 'Ballsier' Jan.20 on Saustex Records
- West Australian songwriter/producer Ludodowwn shares debut single 'Big World'