Empires are thrilled to announce their major label debut Orphan, out September 23rd on Chop Shop/Island Records. Produced by John Congleton (St. Vincent, The Black Angels, Explosions in the Sky), Orphan is a collection of songs immersed in classic post punk and indie rock n’ roll circa 1989-1991, exploring the sonic adventures and emotional heft of artists such as Roxy Music, Wire, and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.
To get fans excited, the band has released the first single “Please Don’t Tell My Lover.” Check it out HERE.
Earlier this summer the Chicago rock band released the EP How Good Does it Feel, which featured several new tracks from Orphan, and was met with an incredible reaction from music critics. The band’s non-stop touring and stimulating live show, which included talked about performances at Bonnaroo and the Hangout Music Festival, also saw the group win over a wide range of concertgoers.
Along with NPR, GQ, Interview Magazine, Stereogum, and Paste, Rolling Stone raves “Sharp, creative and bringing a commendable freshness to the sometimes drearily derivative world of contemporary rock, Empires are a remarkably good rock n’ roll band. In a world full of faceless, regurgitated rhythms and emotion-by-numbers, the band’s music is strikingly compact, precise and non-excessive…Empires are a young, powerful band who leave a distinctly positive impression wherever they play. Their music is some of this year’s very best.”
Empires recently made their late night television debut on Late Show with David Letterman. Watch it HERE.
The band is currently on the road with Chain Gaing of 1974, are looking forward to playing this year’s Austin City Limits and plan to spend all of 2014/15 on the road. Pre-orders will be available starting August 19th.
For more information on Empires, please visit www.weareempires.com.
- Empires announce signing to Chop Shop/Island Records, new music & tour news
- Odessa announces debut full length release date and tour with The Lone Bellow
- Photos/Review: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, empires and Kate Myers 5/5 in DC
- photos: Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, empires, and Kate Myers in Chapel Hill, NC 5/6
- Indie Pop Darlings MisterWives Set to Tour US This Spring with The Mowgli’s
- Step Echo release single from new album 'Songs For The Broken' on Red Dragon Records