“Listening to Johan’s music you feel a sense of equality, respect and longing…all heart and ambient Italo Disco.”– URB
“‘Casablanca Nights’ exemplifies the album’s shimmering, synthy sound.” – OUT.com
His first single “Watch the World Go By” featuring Swedish group and Service darlings Lake Heartbeatdebuted on Discobelle and was featured on the Pitchfork Playlist, who said the track’s “fizzing synth textures and filtered keyboards give the song a starlit quality.” Johan has also created mixtapes for URB and Under the Radar, just in time for the balmy summer nights ahead.
Casablanca Nights, featuring collaborations with CFCF, Steve Moore (Lovelock, Zombi, Miracle), Sally Shapiro, Fred Ventura, Lake Heartbeat, Le Prix, and many more, was mostly done through the internet. Many vocals and instrumentations were recorded everywhere from Montreal to London, and Pittsburgh to Milan, while mastermind and producer Johan Agebjörn was back in Sweden, putting together the pieces. Though conceived and produced in the cool climate of Sweden, the title Casablanca Nights is not arbitrary; it channels the albums feel of tropical urban disco nights and is testament to a sound more Southern and warm than the melancholic, wintry compositions known from Agebjörn’s italo-disco counterpart Sally Shapiro, heralded as a Pitchfork Best New Music artist and praised across the globe by media and fans alike.
Casablanca Nights Track listing
1. 8ths (Intro Edit)
2. The Last Day of Summer [with Ercola & Queen of Hearts]
3. This Case Is Closed (Remix) [with Friday Bridge]
4. Watch the World Go By [with Le Prix & Lake Heartbeat]
5. Casablanca Nights [with Lovelock & Sally Shapiro]
6. Alice [with Fred Ventura, Le Prix & Sally Shapiro]
7. Spacer Woman From Mars [with Sally Shapiro]
8. So Fine All The Time [with Legowelt & Wolfram]
9. Le Noir Et Le Blanc Sur Le Plano [with Sally Shapiro]
10. Memories of Satie [with CFCF]
11. Stranger (Chill Remix) [with Halftone]