After a breakthrough year that saw Josef Salvat garner over 2.5 million SoundCloud plays for his debut EP In Your Prime, he returns with a ‘noir’, cinematic masterpiece for “Hustler.” Directed by Casper Balslev, renowned for his thought-provoking, provocative short films and artist videos for the likes of MØ and The Presets, the dark ambiguity of the video reflects the lyrics of the track which explores the search for intimacy in a world which can often feel void of emotion, and the universal search for love.
Photo Credit: Mark Kean
Noisey premiered the video this week, noting “”Hustler” cements the Aussie-born, London-based singer’s rep as a talent who combines hook-heavy melodicism-delivered in his uniquely plush tones-with a dusky sensuality, and this video for “Hustler” merely underscores this notion, while deepening the song’s inherent ambiguity.”
The Australian-born, London-based musician’s version of the Sia-written and Rhianna-performed ballad “Diamonds” has now had a whopping 3.5 million YouTube plays, which Sia herself called “beautiful”. The track is also taking Europe by storm, reaching number #1 at French iTunes and hitting the radio main stream around the continent.
Watch “Diamonds” here
Having supported BANKS on her sold out UK tour last year and sold out his own London show, Josef will play his first (now sold out) UK headline tour this month. “Hustler” provides the next page in Josef’s beguiling story, giving us a careful taster of what’s to come on the debut album, set for release later this year.
In Your Prime EP Tracklisting
- Open Season
- This Life
- Shoot and Run
“[Josef Salvat] just elbowed his way to the front of the year’s ‘pop guys to watch’ queue.” FADER
“He’s somebody that you ought to know.” The Guardian
“He’s a sensitive male crooner-type, whose music can still appeal to people who aren’t necessarily into male crooner types.” KCRW
- Got A Girl release new video 'Did We Live Too Fast'; debut album Jul.22 on Bulk Recordings
- Pianos Become The Teeth announce new album and stream new video
- Make Do And Mend announce new album on Stay Close/Rise Records; stream title track
- UK-based hardcore punks Violent Reaction to release new album 'Marching On' via Revelation Records
- Superhuman Happiness share new single 'Super 8' on Royal Potato Family
- Audio District unveil video for debut single ‘Reach For The Sky'