In 1997, legendary Riot Grrrl pioneer Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre) released a solo album under the name “Julie Ruin” with the intention of forming a band to perform the songs live. In 2010, with Le Tigre on hiatus, Kathleen began to build her dream team with whom she wrote and recorded The Julie Ruin debut album. Titled Run Fast, the album will be released September 3rd via TJR Records, distributed via Dischord.
We previously revealed the “Oh Come On” video – a raw punk track that immediately bursts the record open. Today, the band reveals 2nd album cut “Ha Ha Ha”, a danceable track hooked on fierce lyrics and flying guitar. Hear the “Ha Ha Ha” stream where it premiered with Entertainment Weekly or HERE.
We encourage you to post & share!
The Julie Ruin will embark on their FIRST EVER tour taking their fierce lyrics, stomping beats and flying guitar across North America. The band will perform at Fun Fun Fun Fest and make stops in NYC, Los Angeles, DC & more. Fans that are not able to catch the band on this run can experience their electric live show on when they perform on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, September 4th!
The Julie Ruin Tour Dates
8/8: Brooklyn, NY @ Union Pool (SOLD OUT)
9/3: New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom * (SOLD OUT)
9/5: Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer *
9/7: Washington, DC @ Black Cat *
9/12: Portland, OR @ TBA Festival
9/15: Seattle, WA @ Neumo’s #
9/17: San Francisco, CA @ Slims #
9/19: Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo # (SOLD OUT)
9/22: San Diego, CA @ Irenic #
11/8-10: Austin, TX @ Fun Fun Fun Fest
* = w/ Swearin’ as support
# = w/ La Sera as support
The Julie Ruin features Kathi Wilcox on bass (Bikini Kill bandmate), Kenny Mellman on keys (’Kiki and Herb’), Carmine Covelli on drums (actor, filmmaker and musical juggernaut) & Sara Landeau on guitar (met Kathleen mentoring at Rock Camp for Girls.)
A celebrated, outspoken figure at the forefront of feminist punk, Kathleen Hanna has collaborated on The Riot Grrrl Collection book and Sundance Selects announced that they have acquired North American rights to Sini Anderson’s punk rock documentary THE PUNK SINGER.
- Kathleen Hanna’s "The Julie Ruin" Album Out Now, Plays Fallon 9/4, Tour Kicks Off Today
- Kathleen Hanna’s The Julie Ruin 'Right Home (Yacht Remix)' out now, 'The Punk Singer' DOC out 11/29
- Kathleen Hanna is 'Myrna The Monster'; SXSW screening and lyric video released
- Legendary riot grrrl band Bikini Kill release 'Revolution Girl Style' reissue w/unreleased tracks
- The Julie Ruin release new video 'Good Night Goodbye' and tour dates with Screaming Females
- Kathleen Hanna shares 'The Punk Singer' documentary clip; film out 11/29