LA duo Vow are premiering their latest song, “Charm”, on Soundcloud.
Wondering Sound calls the track, “…a slow-smolder torch song, a blue valentine where expressions of devotion are delivered with dramatic intensity — it’s love, but it sounds like longing. At times, “Charm” sounds like a kind of retro-futurist R&B… like a sci-fi nightclub singer delivering a doomy lullaby to the boozy 3 a.m. crowd.”
“Charm” appears on the duo’s upcoming EP, Make Me Yours out August 12th on The Native Sound.
Earlier this summer Entertainment Weekly praised Vow for “giving a contemporary update to the gothy ambience and gauzy textures of ’80s and ’90s dream-pop.”
The duo recently filmed an Altered Course session which can be viewed here.
Consisting of vocalist Julia Blake, and instrumentalist Andrew Thomas, Vow have been known to dance along the genre lines of synth-pop, dream-pop, dark wave and post punk. Driven by drum machines and rich bass lines, Julia’s soulful, and melodic alto vocals ooze on top of the analog pulsing synths and dreamy pads.
The EP finds the band transitioning from the darker textures of their debut, to more Cocteau Twins-inspired dynamics, implementing chorus-drenched guitars/bass, and palpable pop-informed vocal melodies. As with their debut, the EP again features Touché Amoré guitarist, and one-half of Andrew’s ambient guitar duo, Wife, Nick Steinhardt on guitar. Steinhardt, who interestingly enough introduced Andrew and Julia to each other, also took charge of all visual aspects relating to the band’s EP.
Uncoated jacket, with interior printing
Digital download delivered to your inbox at least one week before the release date
Clear with Pink Splatter – 50
Light Pink – 100
Black – 150
- Grey Zine signs with The Native Sound; 8 song comp. of Demos as free download
- Miserable, Solo Project of Kristina Esfandiari, Former Vocalist of Whirr Signs with The Native Sound
- King Woman to release limted edition cassette and download 'Dove' on The Native Sound
- LA-based four piece The Interrupters release new video/single 'A Friend Like Me'
- Folk veteran Sarah McQuaid release new single from fourth album 'Walking Into White'
- Breakout pop trio AJR release debut album Sept.30 on AJR Productions/Warner Bros.