The Pop Group, the most wildly innovative and barrier-shattering band to emerge from the late 70s post-punk era, have announced their first ever UK tour in October to coincide with the first run of re-issues on the new Freaks Are Us label, distributed in the U.S. via Alliance.
Since their reunion in 2010 the band have played a handful of key festivals around the world including a rapturously received show in Glasgow earlier this year. The Guardian exclaimed in their 5 star review that “the years have divested this band’s music of none of its urgent potency” while The Times stated “Cited as a key influence by Nick Cave and Primal Scream these wilfully discordant Bristolians unleash an exhilarating mash up of polemical lyrics, funk rhythms, free jazz and dub reggae with a tightness and ferocity that would challenge bands half their age” in their 4 star review.
Spearheading the first wave of reissues the band will release two albums, their 1980
post-punk classic We Are Time remastered from original tapes and Cabinet of Curiosities, a nine-track compilation of rarities and previously unreleased and unheard material. Both albums are set for release on October 21.
The Pop Group will be performing We Are Time in its entirety plus more…
The seven date UK tour is in support of ‘Campaign Against Arms Trade’.
“In this age of hidden agendas / proxies and false flag attacks, now more than ever we must campaign against the arms trade THE MOST BRUTAL TRADE”Mark Stewart
20-Oct- Edinburgh Voodoo Rooms
21-Oct – Nottingham Bodega Social Club
22-Oct – Manchester Gorilla
23-Oct – Bristol Anson Rooms
24-Oct – Leeds Brudenell Social Club
25-Oct – Brighton Sticky Mike’s Frog Bar
26-Oct – London Islington Assembly Hall
- The Pop Group to headline Chicago Levitation Festival during first N. American tour
- The Pop Group and Sleaford Mods announce split 7" release on Freaks R Us
- Run Things release 'Dumb In The Sun' 7" on White Iris Records
- BELZEBASS releases "Welcome To Hell" EP & disturbing NSFW music video
- Chuck Ragan to release 7" Feb. 25; new album 'Till Midnight' out Mar.25 on SideOneDummy Records
- Miss May I release 'Rise Of The Lion' track by track video preview