The Lightness of Being aren’t your average rock band – guitarist Sam has played in a salsa group, while drummer Sergio is also a minimal DJ. It’s not only their musical backgrounds that are diverse; singer Gabriel is originally from Singapore, Sam has lived in Japan and the US and Sergio is from Poland.
The band came together after Gabriel and Sergio struck up a chance conversation – and despite coming from all walks of life they soon began rehearsing and playing shows in London.
The debut EP “Directions” got heads banging last year, and the amp has been turned up even higher for their three-track release ‘Movements’.
The foursome have used as inspiration their “everyday struggles and fears”, as heard in the dark opening track ‘Disappearing Act’, while the distorted vocals and heavy guitar bring the genres of rock, metal and grunge together in ‘Unknown’ and ‘Cat’s Eyes’. If you’re a fan of Queens of the Stone Age or Sonic Youth, you will want to give The Lightness of Being a listen.
The Lightness of Being have already been backed by big names in the music industry – they have worked with The Breeders’ engineer Nick Trepka, played with up-and-coming blues rock band Graveltones, and have headlined venues around London. And with the release of ‘Movements’ they’re bound to turn even more heads in 2015.
‘Movements’ EP is due to be released on September 7th.
- London-based duo Playing Mars set to release eerie new track 'Burning Desire'
- Essex-based Looking for Liam implore you to ‘Take What You Need’ with new single
- Run Things release 'Dumb In The Sun' 7" on White Iris Records
- BELZEBASS releases "Welcome To Hell" EP & disturbing NSFW music video
- Chuck Ragan to release 7" Feb. 25; new album 'Till Midnight' out Mar.25 on SideOneDummy Records
- Mike Dillon to release 'Band Of Outsiders' Apr.1 on The Royal Potato Family