Photographed and reviewed by Robert Escue
Lost Apparitions Records is a label from Luray, Virginia that specializes in extreme metal and represents a number of Hampton Roads bands including two that played the showcase, Virginia Beach’s Gutted Christ and Rotten. The other two bands represented were Baltimore’s Bound By The Grave and New Jersey’s Eye Of The Destroyer.
Gutted Christ started the night off with a set of material that included songs from their upcoming release ‘The Sower Ov Discord’. Coming off of hiatus and played as a three piece without a bass player. It is good to see them back onstage and playing shows.
Picking up where Gutted Christ left off, Bound By The Grave continued the assault playing songs from their EP ‘Methods of Disposal’ and full length ‘Abuse Of The Flesh’. I liked these guys a lot, they brought the right mix of brutality and technicality to their music.
Eye Of The Destroyer brought a change of pace from death metal to slam which was appreciated by one audience member in particular, the former lead singer of Throne Of Botis Timothy Crabb. Christopher toppled Timothy during their set stage diving style.
Rotten closed out the night with a selection of material from their first effort ‘Rotting To Death’.
While the show was lightly attended, I look forward to more of these showcase events and hope there are more to come.
- Occultivating the masses tour Hits Riffhouse Pub, Chesapeake, VA
- Tomb Mold at The Riffhouse
- The True Mayhem at Shaka's Live Va.Beach
- “August Burns Red - Messengers 10 year Anniversary Tour” @ The NorVa, Norfolk, VA February 10th 2017 written by Brittany Hatch, photographs by Gary Horton
- Overkill 2017 Tour @ The NorVa March 7th
- John 5 and the Creatures @ Shaka's Live on February 7th