The New Basement Tapes – Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Giddens (Carolina Chocolate Drops), Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), Jim James (My Morning Jacket) and Marcus Mumford (Mumford & Sons) – will make their first live performances via three national television appearances in November. They will perform on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on November 10, Ellen on November 14 and Jimmy Kimmel Live on November 19.
Photo: Sam Jones
The New Basement Tapes’ T Bone Burnett-produced album, Lost On the River: The New Basement Tapes, was founded on a treasure trove of recently discovered lyrics handwritten by Bob Dylan in 1967 during the period that generated the recording of his original Basement Tapes. With Dylan having entrusted the lyrics to Burnett, the artists and T Bone convened in March 2014 at Capitol Studios in Hollywood to write and create music together for the long-lost lyrics, swapping instrumental and vocal roles throughout the marathon sessions. The result was dozens of new songs and recordings, 20 of which are included on Lost On the River: The New Basement Tapes, which will be released by Electromagnetic Recordings/Harvest Records on November 10.
Additionally, the original documentary Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued will premiere on SHOWTIME on Friday, November 21st at 9 P.M. ET/PT. The documentary, which is directed by Sam Jones, will present an exclusive and intimate look at the making of Lost On The River. A rare look inside the creative process of recording an album and the discovery of long-lost Dylan lyrics, Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued captures this unprecedented musical collaboration between these musicians and their producer, the 13-time Grammy winner T Bone Burnett, as they record these newly completed compositions. A trailer for the film can be viewed here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsx-QMY_FKY) and a performance of “Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street)” by The New Basement Tapes can be viewed here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_qS7LkgHjs).
The band’s upcoming television performances follow the release of five previous tracks and lyric videos from the album:
- “Nothing To It” (co-written by Bob Dylan and Jim James, with lead vocals by James).
- “Married To My Hack” (co-written by Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello, with lead vocals by Costello).
- “When I Get My Hands On You” (co-written by Bob Dylan, Marcus Mumford and Taylor Goldsmith, with lead vocal by Mumford).
- “Spanish Mary” (co-written by Bob Dylan and Rhiannon Giddens, with lead vocal by Giddens).
- “Liberty Street” (co-written by Bob Dylan and Taylor Goldsmith, with lead vocal by Goldsmith).
Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes (Deluxe Edition) – Out November 10
- Down On The Bottom
- Married To My Hack
- Kansas City
- Spanish Mary
- Liberty Street
- Nothing To It
- Golden Tom – Silver Judas*
- When I Get My Hands On You
- Duncan and Jimmy
- Florida Key
- Hidee Hidee Ho #11
- Lost On The River #12
- Card Shark
- Quick Like A Flash*
- Hidee Hidee Ho #16
- Diamond Ring*
- The Whistle Is Blowing*
- Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street)
- Lost On The River #20
*Not available on 15-track standard edition of the album
- Ariana Grande Makes Saturday Night Live Debut on the 40th Season Premiere
- Mastodon to perform 'The Motherload' on the Late Show with David Letterman on Oct.27
- Lorde will be performing and sitting down with Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show Nov.25
- Jenny Lewis debuts new track from 'Song One' film and announces Jimmy Kimmel appearance
- First Aid Kit perform 'My Silver Lining' on Ellen
- Finch premiere live video for "Grey Matter" on Idobi Howl