New Damage Records is proud to announce the addition of Edmonton punk band Slates to their expanding roster in Canada. Described as Edmonton’s answer to The Replacements, Slates has been making a name for themselves as a band to watch over the past few years, and will release their third full-length album Taiga on February 25 through New Damage Records in Canada. To get a little taste of what to expect on their winter release, Exclaim! is premiering the lead single “Molina Blues” HERE.
Slates recorded Taiga on analog tape with prolific engineer Steve Albini (Nirvana, The Stooges, Neurosis) at Electrical Audio Studios in Chicago. With no fancy digital effects to work with, Slates had to rely on their technical prowess and raw talent. The unique acoustics of the studio (Electrical Audio was once an old pinball factory) paired with Albini’s years of experience, successfully captures the ferocity and rawness of Slates’ live sound. Lyrically, on Taiga, the band explores the concepts of nature vs man, the refusal to exist within expectations, heroes and being on the road.
Formed in 2008, Slates is comprised of James Stewart (guitar/vocals), Lee Klippenstein (bass/vocals), Stefan Duret (guitar/vocals), and Dallas Thompson (drums). The band has released two full-length albums, three 7”’s and has toured extensively across Canada, Europe, and the Caribbean, sharing stages with the likes of Mudhoney and The Flatliners.
- Edmunton Punk band SLATES to release cover EP in support of All Hands Volunteers
- Slates announce Canadian tour dates in support of 'Taiga' out Feb.25 on New Damage Records
- Download a Summer sampler from New Damage Records
- Toronto's Biblical sign to New Damage Records, set to release debut album 'Monsoon' Spring 2014
- New Damage Records signs High Tension; debut album 'Death Beat' out Feb 18
- Vancouver punk band Youth Decay sign with New Damage Records; debut 7" out Sept.2