A lot of bands are compared to the likes of Sonic Youth, Nirvana, and Dinosaur Jr., but very few are capable of living up to the billing. Enter Pinact, whom has harnessed the spirit of Glasgow’s music scene incredibly. The band is able to effortlessly combine experimental, turn-it-up-to-11 guitar sounds with outstanding melodic awareness, despite their scarce lineup consisting of only guitarist/vocalist Corrie Gillies and drummer Chris McCrory.
The duo will be releasing their debut album Stand Still and Rot on May 19th via Kanine Records. The album (produced by the brilliant MJ of Hookworms) perfectly distills their live sound. It’s loud, it’s uncompromising, and yet it sounds pretty and considered. Including concert stalwarts like “Into the One,” “Brew”, and “Negative Thoughts and Jealousy,” along with newer tracks like “The Beginning of the End” and debut single “Anxiety”, Stand Still is an aural crowd-surf and an alternative hit waiting to happen.
Brazen in its ceaseless stride, the track [Anxiety] tears through its two-and-a-half minutes, a restless swarm of guitar-and-drum instrumentation and a Corrie Giles infectious voice which drags itself through a series of confessional diatribes that act as the tracks wheezy but strengthened heart.” – Gold Flake Paint
“Louder than two-pieces really ought to be, this duo pits melodic vocals against the fuzz and squeals of a battle-worn Fender Mustang, creating something heavy and frenetic.” – NME
“Scotland’s brightest hope for music” – Wax Music
STAND STILL AND ROT TRACKLISTING
1. Stand Still And Rot
4. Into The One
5. Negative Thoughts And Jealousy
9. Up Or Down
10. The Beginning of the End
11. Spill Yr Guts, Let Out Some Noise
April 5 – The Lock Tavern – Camden, London
April 21 – Broadcast – Glasgow w/ Nai Harvest
May 16 – The Great Escape Festival – Black Lion – Brighton
May 16 – The Shacklewell Arms – London ( Album launch show)
May 19 – Broadcast – Glasgow (Album launch show)
- Glasgow based PINACT to release debut album May 19 on Kanine Records
- Melbourne garage punk/new wave band Magic Bones release their new single ‘Danger I Am’
- Manchester duo Modern Family Unit release modern new wave single 'Mmm mmm mm aah'
- English legends Quartz release 'Too Hot To Handle' album teaser
- L7 reaches kickstarter goal for 'Pretend We're Dead' but still time to grab unique rewards
- Fucked Up release track 'Paper the House' from 'Glass Boys' out Jun.3 on Matador Records