Rhino is proud to announce the upcoming release of THE DIARY OF A TEENAGE GIRL SOUNDTRACK. Featuring music from T. Rex, The Stooges, Television and more, the 13-track collection will be available on vinyl on August 7 for a list price of $19.98. The album will also be released digitally the same day.
Presented by Sony Picture Classics, The Diary of a Teenage Girl is directed by Marielle Heller and stars Bel Powley, Kristen Wiig, Alexander Skarsgård, and Christopher Meloni. The film will open in theaters on August 7.
Based on the acclaimed graphic novel by Phoebe Gloeckner, the film tells the story of Minnie Goetze (Bel Powley), a teenage girl who is longing for love, acceptance and a sense of purpose in the world. Minnie begins a complex love affair with her mother’s (Kristen Wiig) boyfriend, “the handsomest man in the world,” Monroe Rutherford (Alexander Skarsgård). What follows is a sharp, funny and provocative account of one girl’s sexual and artistic awakening, without judgment.
Set in 1976 San Francisco, The Diary Of A Teenage Girl begins at the crossroads of the fading hippie movement and the dawn of punk rock. The soundtrack reflects those changing times through music. Director Marielle Heller explains, “We asked questions like what kind of music would Minnie listen to? What kind of music would her mom listen to? What’s the difference in those? How would Minnie’s musical taste evolve?”
The collection answers those questions with an eclectic mix of music from the ’60s and ’70s and features the Top 20 hit “Next Plane To London” by The Rose Garden; “Dreamboat Annie” by Heart; “Precious Star” by T. Rex; “Down On The Street” by The Stooges; and “See No Evil” by Television. The collection also includes lead track “Dreamsong,” composed by Nate Heller, the director’s brother, and features Amber Coffman of the Dirty Projectors.
Heller says. “I think [Minnie’s mom] is still holding over some stuff from the ’60s. She’s got a little bit of sentimentality but is also dabbling a tiny bit in disco. Whereas Minnie is influenced by her mom because she has been listening to a certain music her whole life, but is getting drawn in by this punk scene that probably wasn’t even called punk yet. Rocky Horror, and Iggy Pop, and this whole kind of glam thing starts to pull her in.”
1. “Dreamsong” – Nate Heller Feat. Amber Coffman
2. “Looking For The Magic” – Dwight Twilley Band
3. “Dreamboat Annie” – Heart
4. “Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams” – Nico
5. “Next Plane To London” – The Rose Garden
6. “Precious Star” – T. Rex
7. “Crying, Laughing, Loving, Lying” – Labi Siffre
8. “If It’s Good To You (It’s Good For You)” – Barbara & The Browns
9. “Roll Away The Stone” – Mott The Hoople
10. “Down On The Street” – The Stooges
11. “A Fool In Love” – Frankie Miller
12. “See No Evil” – Television
13. “Run To The Mountain” – Nate Heller
- Twisted Sister celebrates 40 Years with The Best Of The Atlantic Years
- Dumb and Dumber soundtrack to be released on vinyl May 20 on ShopRadioCast
- 'Leave The World Behind' starring Swedish House Mafia coming to U.S. theaters beginning Mar.27
- Atlantic Records to release 'The Fault In Our Stars' music from the motion picture
- The Fault In Our Stars LIVE stream event Tonight! Ed Sheeran, Grouplove and Charli XCX
- John Nolan streams 'Here Comes The Wolf' and Behind The Scenes video