Sunshine Coast’s hottest new reggae outfit, Bearfoot have been creating quite a buzz in their home area, and now with the release of their debut single ‘Babylon’ will be proving that the band lives up to the hype.
The new track is a dark reggae rock sound, with a driving, bouncing rhythm section, catchy synth melody, and showcasing vocalist Asher Chapman’s rapid-fire delivery, was recorded in one six-hour session at The Vault studio (Sunshine Coast).
Mastered at 12th Vine and Post by Paul Blakey (who personally summed up the track in three simple words – Very. Cool. Indeed) ‘Babylon’ highlights Bearfoot’s signature grooves and melodic trickery, with a slight twist of drum’n’bass.
“Babylon is often referred to in reggae/dancehall music, and I’ve basically related the term for Babylon to today’s dissatisfaction with social hierarchy and globalisation,” said Asher.
“I guess the trick with this song was to make it sound happy, in a sense, but to drive home an important message, and try to make the song catchy as hell.”
The group, who only formed in late 2013, have steadily gained a local following and reputation as up-and-comers in the roots scene.
Bearfoot will be promoting ‘Babylon’ over several dates in March and April, hitting venues on the Sunshine Coast, Brisbane and Northern NSW, along with performances at this year’s El Grande Festival in Gladstone, Ocean St World Festival (Maroochydore), and Peregian Originals.
The band has also enlisted the help of producer/DJ, Jesswah to remix ‘Babylon’ into a “big fat chunk of dubby goodness”, which they will release as a free download.
February 20 – Taps Mooloolaba (duo)
March 6 – Solbar (supporting The Floating Bridges)
March 7 – The Great Northern Hotel, Byron Bay (supporting The Floating Bridges)
March 8 – The Milk Factory, Brisbane (with The Rocket Sox)
March 21 – El Grande Festival, Gladstone (with 28 Days, DZ Deathrays, Tiki Taane and more)
March 28 – Brewstock, Sunshine Coast Brewery
April 5 – Ocean St World Festival, Maroochydore
April 11 – The Motor Room, West End
April 26 – Black Bunny Restaurant, Alexandra Headlands
- Multi-platinum Grammy award winning musician Shaggy releases new single 'I Need Your Love'
- Leeds punk/folk/reggae band Jake and the Jellyfish release 'Dead Weight' and The Fest 14 announcement
- Roots reggae icon Ras Jahknow announce the release of their new video ‘Jah Sta Li’
- Infectious Duo Aer announce new album release and Mass US tour with Cody Simpson and Chef's Special
- Psych-reggae six piece Ocean Alley release fuzzed out Sophomore 'In Purple' EP
- Boston based duo The Violet debut new single 'See You Later' featuring Van Ward