Photo by Janet Reidman
Erotic, cinematic, atmospheric and as addictive as Absinthe; The Courtesans are a sensual 4 piece audio and visual experience, coming together from as far afield as Holland, Ireland, Poland and England. The release of their debut album is set to coincide with the 2014 summer tour.
This hard-hitting video considers the never-ending, unattainable portrayal of ‘the perfect woman’. With unavoidable advertising and mounting social pressure from both sexes, we too often witness childhoods ending all too early in favour of cheap lipstick and chicken-fillet bras as young women rise to the bait of their own growing insecurities overtly and subliminally governed by outside sources.
Beyond this, we find the anti-ageing army of surgery toters, trading botox and collagen injections that prey on the insecure and the vulnerable. Slimming pills, eating disorders, false hair, false nails, false person, false life. To conform is never enough for as we are judged and criticised for our differences and shortfalls so too are we judged and criticised for owning a beautiful face or a curvaceous body.
The clip sees the band – our four overtly-individual heroines – being burned at the stake for refusing to sacrifice their own opinions of how beauty should be perceived and how this should remain the property and under the control of the individual. Covering tattoos with skin-coloured paint does not alter the truth of what lies beneath the paint and indeed beneath the skin.
‘Genius’ will be released as The Courtesans debut single on 25th August and available from all your favourite online retailers. It’ll be shortly followed by their long-awaited debut album ‘1917’.
- Meet The Courtesans // See CENSORED video for 'Dirty Killer'
- The Courtesans release acoustic track 'Swallow' - streaming now
- Let's Dance! New remix FREE DOWNLOAD from THE COURTESANS
- The Courtesans win landmark trademark tribunal against The X Factor contestant Eileen Daly
- Female doompop troublemakers The Courtesans release Frankie Goes To Hollywood 'The Power Of Love' cover
- Katy Tiz releases acoustic version of hit single 'The Big Bang'