Topshelf Records and Storm Chaser Records (the label run by Evan Weiss of Into It. Over It.) are teaming up to release The Jazz June’s classic 2000 album The Medicine for the time ever as a double vinyl, gatefold jacket LP with reworked artwork and printed dust sleeves.
The Medicine will be available on October 28.
The LP was originally recorded at Inner Ear Studios in Arlington, VA with legendary producer J. Robbins (The Promise Ring, Braid). The reissue was remastered specifically for vinyl by Alan Douches at West West Side (who did the original mastering on the album).
Reflecting on the recording process frontman Andrew Low recalls, “The recording of ‘The Medicine’ was one of the best experiences we had in The Jazz June. A last minute cancellation by Bluetip meant that J. Robbins was free and Inner Ear was available. We were in total awe of J., Inner Ear and Don Zientara (Minor Threat, Rites of Spring) who happened to be hanging out in the studio. I remember getting drunk one night and telling them that the bands they were in and recordings they made were the Backstreet Boy-esque obsessions of my adolescence. J. looked to Don and said, “Do you want to shoot me or should I shoot you first and then top myself off?” J. worked tirelessly to get the album done in the 5 or 6 days that we budgeted for and he was instrumental in making the songs, sounds and structures of the album come to life. He also drank 100 cups of coffee a day and never tired of our suggestions or problems. It all paid off because it has been the most celebrated album of our career and we are delighted to finally see it on wax!”
The Jazz June is also gearing up for the release of After The Earthquake, the band’s first new studio LP in over 12 years, which will be released on November 11 via Topshelf.
The Jazz June will play a rare show later this month when they headline Brooklynvegan’s official CMJ showcase on Saturday, October 25 with support from Pity Sex, Beach Slang, Cayetana and Sport.
- Topshelf Records Announce Details For FREE All-Ages CMJ Show October 18 at Suburbia 6PM; Official CMJ Showcase on 10/19 Sold Out
- Tiny Engines and Topshelf Records announce Dikembe/The Jazz June split 7"
- Preorder Dikembe / The Jazz June split 7" from Tiny Engines and Topshelf Records
- The Jazz June release details for first new album in 12 years on Topshelf Records
- Topshelf Records announce label drop with Soundsupply
- Alexisonfire announce special 2nd Edition Vinyl Box Set on Dine Alone/New Damage