The Kooks return April 20th with explosive new single ‘Down’, previewed on Radio 1 last night as Zane Lowe’s Hottest Record. It’s a mission statement from a band that have rediscovered what they loved about making music in the first place.
Written by Luke Pritchard and young hip hop pioneer Inflo,
‘Down’ is like nothing the Kooks have ever done before, with it’s looped hooks and crazy percussion. It’s got a contagious swagger that bodes well for the band’s forthcoming album.
“With this record we didn’t do any rehearsing beforehand,” Luke Pritchard says. “I’d write a song with Inflo or on my own, put it up and we’d all play over it. There was a real freedom to the process.”
Produced by Inflo and co-produced by Luke, ‘Down’ was recorded in London and LA, and will be released digitally and on 7″ vinyl thru Virgin/EMI.
The Kooks are currently in the USA at South By Southwest in Austin, Texas playing a series of shows and previewing new material. Earlier this week they played two storming sets at LA’s infamous Troubadour.
The Kooks are: Luke Pritchard – vocals and guitar, guitarist Hugh Harris, bassist Pete Denton and drummer Alexis Nunez.
Newly liberated, The Kooks are anything but ‘Down’.
- The Kooks release new video 'Down'
- The Kooks announce Summer tour dates
- The Kooks announce pre-order details for new album 'Listen'
- The Kooks release new 'Bad Habit' Live at Hansa Studios music video
- The Kooks release intense NSFW 'Around Town' video
- Kenny Davin Fine to release 'Son of the Heart' May 20 on Higher Ground Records/FinerEntertainment