Following the release of his recent Record Store Day exclusive single “Gimme Some Skin”/”Open Up & Bleed,” The Stooges’ James Williamson has just released his second single today from his forthcoming solo album Re-Licked.
On it, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame guitarist has enlisted The Bellrays’ vocalist Lisa Kekaula for the songs “I Gotta Right” (originally penned by Iggy Pop circa 1970) and “Heavy Liquid” (written by Pop & Williamson circa ’73). Backed by the driving force of Steve Mackay, Mike Watt & drummer Toby Dammit (all from the live touring version of The Stooges), along with backing vocals from Petra Haden, Williamson’s snarling, incendiary guitar riffs spar perfectly with Kekaula’s own soul-shaking, hair-raising vocal deliveries on these two early Stooges rarities.
Williamson’s Re-Licked (to be released in the fall of 2014) will also feature other lesser-known Stooges tracks properly recorded and mixed for the first time. Songs such as “Rubber Legs,” “She Creatures of the Hollywood Hills,” “Scene of the Crime,” “Wild Love” and others will be fronted by a wealth of talented vocalists such as Jello Biafra, Mark Lanegan, Alison Mosshart, The Orwell’s Mario Cuomo, Ariel Pink, Primal Scream’s Bobby Gillespie, Carolyn Wonderland and others.
The 7″ vinyl single of James Williamson’s “I Gotta Right”/”Heavy Liquid” is now available online in the U.S. through Insound here, in Europe here, and can also be found in finer record stores worldwide.
FOR MORE INFO ON JAMES WILLIAMSON:
FOR MORE INFO ON LISA KEKAULA & THE BELLRAYS:
- The Stooges' James Williamson to releases new single Apr.19 w/ Carolyn Wonderland
- BLKHRTS release new video 'BRK T M (Bark At Me)' featuring The Stooges'
- The Moons announce new single 'Body Snatchers' out June 23 on Schnitzel Records
- The Cold and Lovely release new single from new EP 'Ellis Bell Deluxe'
- Diamante releases third single of the year 'Bite Your Kiss' #3 on Billboard Hot Single Sales
- Emarosa release new song 'People Like Me, We Just Don't Play' on Rise Records