James Williamson (photo: Tanya Alexis)
While on a break from touring this year, the members of The Stooges (sans Iggy) got together and recorded songs that were originally penned by Iggy Pop and James Williamson in 1973/74. These songs were never properly recorded since the band didn’t have a record deal at the time.
James Williamson always wanted to revisit these songs and has done so with a powerhouse lineup of singers who don’t disappoint on his forthcoming album entitled Re-Licked. “Open Up & Bleed”/”Gimme Some Skin” is the first single from Re-Licked, which will be out later this year. The Stooges’ James Williamson, Steve Mackay, Mike Watt & touring drummer Toby Dammit are joined on both tracks by Texas blues singer & guitarist Carolyn Wonderland, who adds her own forceful and soul-drenching takes on these two rarely heard gems.
Re-Licked will also feature other lesser-known Stooges tracks properly recorded and mixed for the first time. Songs such as “I Gotta Right,” “Rubber Legs,” “She Creatures of the Hollywood Hills,” “Wild Love” and others will be fronted by a wealth of talented vocalists such as Jello Biafra, Mark Lanegan, Ariel Pink, Lisa Kekuala (The BellRays) and others to be announced soon.
James Williamson & Carolyn Wonderland’s new limited vinyl single “Open Up & Bleed”/”Gimme Some Skin” will be available at independent record stores worldwide on Record Store Day, April 19th.
FOR MORE INFO ON JAMES WILLIAMSON:
FOR MORE INFO ON CAROLYN WONDERLAND:
- The Stooges' James Williamson releases new single 'I Gotta Right'/'Heavy Liquid'
- BLKHRTS release new video 'BRK T M (Bark At Me)' featuring The Stooges'
- Third Man Records Presents: The Gories, The Shaw Tapes: Live In Detroit 5/27/88; Jack Johnson Live at Third Man Records
- Warner Bros. Records and Affiliated labels announce exclusive vinyl releases and t-shirts for Record Store Day
- Hollis Brown announces exclusive Record Store Day album Apr.19
- Slayer to unleash a brand new song for Record Store Day