Yes, Dark Tranquillity: the legends—their 2005 release Character was not only an amazing Melodeath effort, but a musical evolution and bastion: standing proof of the genre’s ability to thrive in a modern music scene.
Though short lived (so to speak) as a band, Anterior’s highly anticipated 2007 release: This Age Of Silence was met with astounding critical acclaim—notably for its pure take on the Melodic Death Metal genre and blazing rhythmic guitar work.
Out with the old, in with the new—the legendary pioneers In Flames unthinkably outdo their earlier fan-coveted albums: Clayman and The Jester Race. Not only was the album an artistic success, but a commercial one as well: selling over 400,000 copies worldwide—easily one of the top selling Melodeath albums of all time.
1995’s Slaughter Of The Soul can be credited as musical inspiration for most, if not all, Death Metal bands today (weather they know it or not)—At The Gates was first: intricate melodies, buzz-saw rhythms, and brutal vocals that would create the most esteemed and long lasting legacy in the genre’s history; this is the crown jewel of Melodeath and a staple of any true fan.
Possibly the best Melodic Death Metal album you haven’t heard—the highly anticipated return of former At The Gates vocalist: Tomas Lindberg to Melodeath occurred in the Death Metal super band Nightrage’s debut album Sweet Vengeance. It was everything At The Gates fans could have hope for, and then some—dazzling instrumentals, experimental growth, and the genre’s best vocals to be heard yet.
*Editors Note: Crazy Melodeath fans, please direct all arguing to our Facebook page*
Written by Matt Crane – HHM
- Album Review: Dark Tranquillity - Construct
- AT THE GATES announces new studio album; signs worldwide deal with Century Media Records
- At The Gates begin recording new album 'At War With Reality' on Century Media Records
- At The Gates completes new album, 'At War With Reality'; release dates and further live activity announced
- Code Orange announce UK shows with At The Gates
- Sweden's In Flames new album 'Siren Charms' out Sept.9 on Sony/Red