Portland, OR hardcore band YOUNG TURKS will release a new 7”/digital EP titled, Where I Rise, on November 5th via Animal Style Records. Artwork and tracklisting for the band’s first effort since 2012’s Where I Lie LP, can be seen below.
One year since their debut full length, Where I Lie, YOUNG TURKS have returned with their next chapter, Where I Rise. Vocalist Matt Koenig, guitarists Bryan Zurek and Jason Soejoto, bassist Andrew Arellano and drummer Mason Juve waste no time with their newest four songs. Expanding upon previous efforts, their symmetrical balance of break-neck punk and pounding hardcore has given them a truly stand out sound.
YOUNG TURKS were formed in Oregon’s rainy winter of 2010 as a side project to several then-active bands. Three years, five North American tours, and two releases under their belts, they have constantly found themselves in a van or a studio. The five piece have always worn their early 2000s hardcore influences on their sleeve. Early comparisons to AMERICAN NIGHTMARE, COMEBACK KID, and SUICIDE FILE ran rampant, but broader elements have been introduced. Genre-pushing bands like SHIPWRECK AD, HOPE CONSPIRACY, and PROPRAGANDHI have deeply impacted the band as well.
Where I Rise is a declaration of life moving forward, while trying to let go of the past. Stand out track “Zone K” begins, “About 364 days a year, I’m not thinking about you.” Clearly vocalist Koenig has moved forward from “Where I Lie,” but not without a painful reminder of what once was. The former themes of betrayal and hopelessness have been exchanged for the strength to overcome and the will to endure.
Returning to D-Wreck Studios in Portland, Oregon, YOUNG TURKS were able to capture the unique sound and feel of northwest hardcore. Enlisting Alex Estrada of Earth Capital Studios (Touché Amore, Joyce Manor, Silver Snakes) to mix, the final product walks the line between a polished studio effort and the raw energy of a live performance.
1. Territo(royally) Pissed
2. Zone K
3. Roe vs Wade vs Westbrook
4. Old Gods
- Young Turks Release New Music Video; Where I Rise 7"/EP Out Now on Animal Style Records
- Save Your Breath Launch Pre-Order For Upcoming Animal Style Records Debut, There Used To Be A Place For Us
- New Save Your Breath Track ("Lessons") Available for Name-Your-Price/Free Download
- Courtesy Drop Releasing New LP, 'Songs To Drive To; Cry, and Make Love To'
- Animal Style Records Free FEST 12 Sampler; Comp. Features Tracks from all 11 Animal Style bands playing Fest 12
- Henrietta signs to Animal Style Records; debut album out this Summer